Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Churchfarmhouse museum

This seventeenth century brick farmhouse (circa 1660) was once the center of a dairy farm which also grew fodder for London’s horses. Its business declined after the decade of the disappearing horse (1910-20) when the internal combustion engine and the Type B motorbus took over from horses. Many of the ring of farms around London were sold off for building the expanding suburbs. The local council bought the farmhouse in 1944. At first, they used it to re-house families whose homes had been destroyed or damaged during World War Two. In 1961 it was opened as a museum but due to local government cuts, it will close on 31 March.
As well as being one of the oldest dwelling houses in the London area, the museum currently has three authentic room sets: an 1820 farmhouse kitchen, an 1850 dining-room and a scullery. The scullery is a personal favourite because it includes a reconstruction of a set-pot which was how many people heated water before appliances such as the geyser became available (1869 onwards).

Top: Churchfarmhouse museum

The museum’s three authentic room sets: an 1820 farmhouse kitchen

The1850 dining-room

The set-pot in the scullery

There is a possibility that HADAS The Hendon & District Archaeological Society
 may take over the site but, sadly, the museum will be unable to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary this year .
 For the latest news and advice as to how to help save it go to

No comments:

Post a Comment